The problem was that the Netflix app on the LG TV would load, and would show my "watch instantly" queue, and would let me select something to watch, but then no matter what I picked, it would show an error message saying "We're having trouble playing this title right now. Try again later or try a different title." (or something along those lines).
Called Netflix and they gave me the old reliable "Unplug the TV and plug it back in." Not surprisingly, that didn't work. Then they launched into a "Deactivate Netflix" procedure that must apply to older LG televisions, because it bore no resemblance to the buttons, menu options, or features on the LW5700 ( LW5600). They offered to deactivate ALL of the Netflix ready devices on my account (meaning I'd have to type in an email and password again on all the others that were still working fine... a painful process at best, using the on-screen scroll and click "keyboards"). So I declined and continued searching for how to deactivate Netflix only on the LG TV. Incidentally Netflix, couldn't you set up a way to deactivate only one device from the Netflix end??? Obviously you have a record of which individual devices are activated. Why do you offer only the "nuke 'em all" option??? That's weak!!!
So after fumbling around and looking under every proverbial rock in the menus on the LG TV, I finally found the option to deactivate / unregister the Netflix account, only on that device, and without resetting the entire set of custom settings on the TV (which would have also been painful to set up again from scratch). So for anyone else who is looking for it... here's how...
- Push the "Home" button on the remote.
- Scroll around to the "Setup" button on the screen - click it.
- Scroll down to the "NETWORK" (Globe Icon) - click it
- Scroll down to the "Smart TV Setting" item in the list - click it
- Scroll down to the "Reset" button - click it
- Scroll down to "Netflix Deactivation" - click it
- Push the "Exit" button on the remote.
- Push the "Premium" button on the remote.
- Scroll around to the "Netflix" icon - click it.
- Re-enter username and password using the lame on-screen "keyboard." (but don't pause for very long because the LG TV might time out and make you start over).
- Cross your fingers and hope that Netflix is working again and that it doesn't flake out again and force you to do the whole thing again.